Rick Stein’s Aubergine Curry
1 Meal Serving Ingredients
- 1 Aubergine
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 10g Ginger, Chopped
- 100g Fresh Chopped Tomatoes (limited)Pinch Garlic Powder
- 1 Green Chillies
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- ½ tsp Tumeric Powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- Fresh Chopped Coriander and mint
- Cut Aubergine length-ways into 6-8 wedges. Toss them with pinch of salt and set aside in a colander for 10 mins.
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat. Brush aubergines with the olive oil then fry in batches for 3-4 mins on each side until browned. Set aside in a bowl and repeat with remaining aubergine.
- Put ginger, garlic and chilli into a food processor with 2 tbsp of water and grind into a paste.
- Dry fry the cumin and fennel seeds until you can smell them (few seconds), then add ginger paste and leave this to fry for a further 2 mins.
- Add the coriander seeds and turmeric and fry for 1 min, then add the tomatoes, black pepper, 1 tbsp of water and pinch of salt. Cover and simmer for 10 mins until thickened slightly.
- Return the fried aubergine slices to the pan and stir well to coat in the sauce. Simmer for 5 mins, then stir in fresh coriander and mint and serve.
Image for illustrative purposes only